Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Story of Austin

These next couple of days will be posts about both boys in celebration of their 4th birthday. I've thought and thought about how to do this, I've been back and forth on what to write. So I'm going to start at the beginning. My friend, Rachel has always said I should write a book and I'm beginning to think she was right - haha..When Macie was a tad over a year old we decided to try for another baby and maybe go for a third one sometime down the road. I got pregnant right off, which we hadn't planned on. Actually we were trying NOT to get pregnant. I noticed different things with this pregnancy than with Macie..Like I always had a metallic or coppery taste in my mouth and I always had lots of pressure on my lower abdomen. Keep in mind this was before my 8 week checkup. I thought nothing of it cause I've always heard every pregnancy is different. On and off during the weeks leading up to my 1st doctors appointment I'd make random comments to Jason about us having twins and he'd think that's retarded and go on. I think it was Rachel who jinxed me. She constantly said it. So on my 1st doctors appointment as I'm heading out the door I said to a friend "I hope I'm not having twins". Little did I know what God had in store for me. I'm at the doctor by myself cause this was the second baby and we've been there done that sort of thing..Not a big deal..So the doctor's about to do the ultrasound that looks like a you know what and I say "I hope there is not two babies in there" and the doctor smiles and pats my knee and says "bless your heart". I swear I was bug eyeed as I yell WHAT!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! NO WAY!! O MY GOSH!! K, I'm near panic. I'm shaking so bad that the lady who takes your money had to write my check out for me..My first call was to Jason and he about died. First I'd thought he hung up on me b/c he was dead quiet and after he collected his thoughts all he kept saying was "this isn't funny and you'd better not be lying". haha
I had a long, hard pregnancy..Several scares along the way, but everything worked out.
So on April 8th 2005 my back had been hurting all day. I was having contractions like 4-5 minutes apart and just didn't feel good. I'd worked half a day that day, so I went home and tried to rest. Keep in mind Macie had just turned 2, so there was little rest to be had. I knew my doctor was on call that weekend and had Monday off. I wanted my doctor to deliver these babies. I was already dilating which wasn't a good thing, but not too bad either. I was almost 34 weeks. I called the hospital later that evening and they said come on in, which I did and they kept me through the weekend trying to stop the contractions and giving me those steroid shots for the babies lungs. I was sent home Sunday afternoon, took a nap with Macie, woke up and the contractions started again. I was in some discomfort, but did not want to go back to the hospital, but then again I knew my doctor wasn't going to be in the office Monday, so I didn't know what to do. Jason says I was sweating profusely, but I don't remember ever sweating - haha..At midnight Macie woke up puking, so we took turns dealing with her all the while I'm in labor..I kept asking Jason "what do I do, what do I do". I finally gave in and called my mom at 3am to ask her to take me to the hospital and she says "yeah let me put some makeup on" - so I'm thinking "what" , so I say okay try to hurry. After we hung up she realized what was going on and rushed over with no makeup - thank goodness. I really felt like the bottom was about to fall out - haha. Jason didn't want to leave Macie if I was just going to be sent home. Needless to say I didn't get sent home. Of course it was raining cats and dogs that morning..I call Jason once to let him know we're having the twins soon and to get here. Well he feel back to sleep, so as their wheeling me to the c-section room I'm calling him again saying there not going to wait for you get up here, Aunt Amy lived 2 houses down so she came down to watch Macie until Mamaw Patti could get there. Keep in mind Jason's a dangerous driver in the rain, but somehow made it there in time. Austin has always been labeled "baby A". He was the smaller twin but just by a couple of ounces..
I know he looks a little rough, but he's come a long way..I was so out of it I didn't get to see my babies the day I delivered. One sweet nurse snuck Austin into my room so I could see him for a second. Austin is a sweet, sweet boy. I believe he'll be the sneaky one outta the bunch, though.
It's hard to believe it's been 4 years since this picture.


1 comment:

The Hamby's said...

That is the funniest story! I can imagine the shock and excitement!! You are very blessed!! ...and they are blessed to have you as their mommy! Great pictures!
You SHOULD write a book!!! I love the way you tell stories...you have a gift!